Marissa's Tofu-Vegetable Stir Fry

I've tried to do stir-frys before, but they seem to turn out mushy, or without much flavor. I was actually pretty impressed with this one. I definitely had to make a grocery list for this recipe because I didn't have a lot of the Asian ingredients (sesame oil, hoisin sauce, etc.) But there is a lot leftover which means next time I make this (or something else that uses them), I won't need to go out and buy more! Just one upfront cost.

I also love that this recipe uses tofu. I love tofu for what it is. I don't think you can think if it as a meat substitute, because even though it's loaded with protein, it will never be chicken. Or, it will never be beef. And that's not a bad thing! OK, enough food philosophy. On to the making of it...

Here are my ingredients posing for a photo.
I omitted the Sriracha because "Asian chile sauce" sounded spicy and that's not really my thing. I also used firm tofu instead of soft (I prefer that texture). Finally, I wasn't able to find "snow peas" in the grocery store (mainly because I was looking the wrong place) so I just used regular peas. Definitely not the same. Go for the snow peas. Ask an employee if you can't find them. :)



Sauce. Looks like chocolate. Yummy.

Added this pic to show off my chopping skills.

Jasmine rice via a family size Sam's club bag.

Here's the tofu.
 What I love about this tofu recipe is that you don't need to fry, deep-fry, etc. the tofu. It's much healthier that way.

Sans mushrooms.

The mushrooms join the party.

The peas and sauce want in, too.
 I had to add a little more cornstarch (about 2 teaspoons) to thicken it a little bit. I first blended the cornstarch with a little water and then added it to the wok so that it wouldn't get clumpy.

Taa-daa!!!





Adam’s taste rating: 3 ladles
Brad’s taste rating: 3 ladles
Healthy rating: 3 ladles (you can see the nutrition facts at the bottom of the recipe)
Ease of prep rating: 4 ladles
Overall average: 3.25 ladles

0 comments:

Post a Comment


up